How Property Managers Handle Water Damage
Working With Property Managers
When property managers need to get water damage removed quickly, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park is here to make it “Like it never even happened.” Our team of quality technicians who focus on excellent service can help mitigate the damages.
Property Management companies are a top priority for water mitigation services. Here’s an overview of our Emergency Damage Process Overview:
One Hour: Within one hour from notice of loss, a SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park professional will contact you and let you know help is on the way.
Four Hours: Within four hours of loss notification, one of our professionals will be on-site to start mitigation.
Detailed Explanation: A trained, uniformed and equipped crew chief will walk you through the job process explaining what to expect.
Pretesting: A SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park will pretest for restorability, working from the source of the damage outward.
Cleaning and Restoration: Our team will work neatly and efficiently to help you regain control of your property when a damaging event has taken over. They will use state-of-the-art restoration techniques to ensure the property is taken care of the first time.
Final Walkthrough: After the work is completed, a final walk-through will be conducted to help ensure satisfaction.
When it comes to water mitigation and property management, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park will do what you need to get you back to business quickly.
Winter Storm Hazards
Did you know that there are normally 5 hours of bright daylight during January in Anne Arundel County? With decreased sunlight and decreased temperatures, January in Annapolis is typically filled with winter weather property hazards such as frozen pipes, winter precipitation, and ice damns.
The average low temperature for Anne Arundel county in January is 29.1°. With temperatures below freezing, it’s important to prepare your property for winter, especially your pipes. Did you know water expands when it freezes? Click here to learn how to prepare your pipes for winter weather.
Precipitation is part of the water cycle. During the cold weather months, Anne Arundel County sees of sleet, freezing rain, and snow. If temperatures sit below 30° for several days, there are dangers for ice dams.
If winter weather causes water damage to your property, call the Annapolis water mitigation professionals at SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park. We can make it “Like it never even happened.”
How to Prevent a Chimney Fire
Many Annapolis homes suffer chimney fires every year. Chimney fires start for a variety of reasons: bird’s nest, creosote, or leaf debris. SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park wants you to know how prevent a chimney fire as well as know the signs of a chimney fire.
Your chimney–and the flue that lines it–adds architectural interest to your home, but its’ real function is to carry dangerous flue gases from your fireplace, wood stove or furnace safely out of your home. The best was to prevent a chimney fire is to get an annual inspection.
Slow-burning chimney fires happen when the flammable substances on the sides of the chimney flue become hot enough to catch fire but don’t have enough oxygen or fuel to be visible or audible from outside. You can also help to reduce creosote buildup by:
- Burning smaller, hotter fires of appropriate size for your fireplace
- Burning only properly seasoned, untreated wood
- Making sure your chimney has sufficient draft while you burn
Chimney fires can be fast-burning or slow-burning. Fast-burning chimney fires are obvious. These fires rapidly consume flammable residue on the inside of the chimney flue. You may detect:
- A loud, crackling or popping noise from the chimney flue.
- A lot of dense, thick smoke coming into the fireplace or chimney.
- Flames from the top of the chimney.
- A roaring sound often described as being like a freight train.
Keep your Annapolis home safe from chimney fires, get your fireplace inspected annually.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park Facility
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park Facility
When disaster strikes your home or business, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park is here to help. With over 18,000 square feet of warehouse space, we have the capacity to handle any size disaster. Our experience and proven leadership in the restoration industry with mold remediation, fire and water damage and biohazard recovery along with our large facility make us your local restoration leader.
There are several reasons why a large facility is important when selecting an emergency cleanup company. We are a lot more than just the lime green building on Ritchie Highway. At SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park we have the capability to store (and clean if necessary) your belongings while your home or business is being repaired. Our experienced crew will inventory and pack out your property carefully and efficiently. Our content clean-room houses state of the art ultrasonic equipment that works miracles on soot damaged items.
From air scrubbers to dehumidifiers and air movers, we have the right equipment to get the job done. The proper equipment allows a structure to dry properly and reduce further contamination and damage.
By the way, we’ve been in business for 45 years.
Can My Property Be Cleaned Instead of Replaced?
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park works with business and homeowners when disaster strikes. If there is a storm, a basement may flood. We strive to restore items instead of replace.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park specializes in restoring contents damaged by storms. Our expertise and our “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. Our IICRC technicians pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. We utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand cleaning.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
There's no such thing as a small disaster. Storms can hit at any time. Trust SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park, because we are open 24 hours a day 365 days a year. We are faster to any size disaster.
Large Sewage Contamination
When a government building downtown Annapolis experienced a main sewage line break, they called the team at SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park to clean up. The 6-inch pipe ran for about 45 seconds in a utility hallway and contaminated 2 floors in the building. Damage spread amongst a library, cubicle farm, hallway, main storage area, and more.
Sewage cleanup is considered emergency service. This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Our 15-member crew worked for 5 days removing sewage, gravel, and contaminated contents. Contaminated building materials, including drywall and baseboards were also removed, and contaminated documents were disposed of.
Disinfecting begins after contaminated contents and structural materials are removed. Our IICRC trained technicians have the expertise to properly clean and remove any odors. We disinfected the remaining structural material and removed the residual odor from the premises.
As an extra precaution, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park installed air scrubbers ensuring safe air quality. Sewage intrusions are more than nasty, smelly deposits – these damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into a structure. You can rely on SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park to ensure your property is cleaned, disinfected, and deodorized.
Types of Smoke
In the restoration business, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park gets called to building fires on a regular basis. Did you know that smoke damage is treated differently? There are 4 main types that we treat:
- Wet Smoke. (Plastic and Rubber) Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, and smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
- Dry Smoke. (Paper and Wood) Fast-burning, high temperatures; heat rises; therefore, smoke rises.
- Protein Fire Residue. (Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire) Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
- Fuel Oil Soot. (Furnace puff backs) While “puff backs” can create havoc for homeowners, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park can, in most cases, restore the contents and structure quickly.
- Other Types. (Tear gas, fingerprint powder, and fire extinguisher residue) Special loss situations require special care.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park technicians are IICRC trained to handle even the toughest of losses. The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process, but trust professionals to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Get Your Property Winter Ready
Is your office winter ready? Temperatures are dipping in Anne Arundel County. December 21 is the first day of winter and even though the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts a warmer than normal winter, make sure you take precautions for freezing temperatures.
To help prevent costly damages due to weather, consider taking the following precautions to protect your property:
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Wind, heavy rain, ice, and snow can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Roofs, water pipes, and gutters should all be inspected to help ensure they are in proper order. Gutter downspouts should be directed away from your building. Clear gutters of debris that may have gathered during the fall. Leaves and other obstructions can cause a damming effect, which can lead to roof damage and interior water problems
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate a potential flood hazard.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells, and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Protect water pipes from freezing by simply allowing water to drip when temperatures dip below freezing. If pipes are under a cabinet, leave the cabinet doors open, allowing warm inside air to circulate around the pipes. If the building has outdoor faucets, consider shutting water off at the main valve in the basement or crawl space. Once the valve is off, open the outdoor faucet to ensure it drains, preventing any remaining water from freezing in the pipe.
When winter weather strikes, call SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park professionals to strike back and help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Record Rainfall for Anne Arundel County
Greek Storm Names
Like many things in 2020, the 2020 Atlantic hurricane season has astounded meteorologists around the globe. With all the Atlantic hurricanes hitting the east coast, Anne Arundel County has shattered rainfall records. And, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park has been called to many properties suffering water and mold damage from all the moisture and precipitation. As we like to say, we are “Ready for whatever happens.”
In 2020, the Atlantic Ocean has seen 30 tropical storms! This is more storms than meteorologists predicted for the season, and the reason storms were given Greek Names like Hurricane Eta. Our globe hasn’t seen such a number of storms since 2005. CBS News just published a scientific piece on why this hurricane season has been so severe.
This hurricane season has dumped record-breaking rainfalls in Anne Arundel County. Click here to see specific measurements for these record –breaking days. So, what happens when Annapolis gets torrential rainfall in one day? Properties get sump pumps that can’t keep up and other mechanical plumbing mishaps that cause flooded basements and more.
At SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park, we are here to help. During these historic times, our team remained available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If your property suffers water damage, you can always count on us.
Can Mold Grow in My Car?
This short answer is yes. Mold can grow anywhere, even in your car! Not only is mold, smelly and gross, but it can cause permanent damage and can be hazardous to your health.
At SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park we have a cleaning process scientifically developed to clean automobile mold infestations. The general process is as follows:
- Analyze mold and damage
- Cleaning process:
- HEPA Vacuum
- Wipe down vehicle with EPA Registered Disinfectant
- HEPA vacuum again to remove any remaining spores
- Dehumidify vehicle
- Eradicate mold spores
On a scale of gross things that can happen to your car, mold ranks way up there.
The main cause of mold is damp conditions mixed with a warm environment, which can easily occur in your car if you leave your window cracked or your sunroof open on a rainy day, or even spill some liquid on the floor.
Our team at SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park works with car dealerships, auto repair shops, as well as automobile owners to mitigate mold.
If you go into your car and ask yourself, “What is that smell?”, your car may have mold.