Does Water Need To Be Removed Immediately?
Water Damage in Annapolis
When it comes to water damage in an Annapolis home or a Severna Park building, it’s important to remove the water as quickly as possible in order to avoid additional damage. Water damage can quickly lead to mold damage within 48 hours, especially when combined with the heat and humidity that we experience here in Anne Arundel County.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park is the cleanup team that is faster to any size disaster. Recently, Hurricane Isaias dumped up to 6 inches of rain on Maryland. A small leak from flood waters now could blossom into a big claim later.
No matter what time of day or night, water damage is an emergency. Emergency mitigation means under our SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park can be onsite within 4 hours to begin drying your building and restoring contents.
Water from a hurricane or from a pipe leak needs to be mitigated quickly, trust our SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park team to ensure your property is taken care of in a timely manner.
Is Annapolis Prepared for Hurricane Season?
Faster to any Size Disaster
We are in the middle of the Atlantic Hurricane Season, are you prepared? Is your property prepared?
Anne Arundel County provides a step-by-step guide to help you get prepared. Click here to access the guide.
The Anne Arundel County Office of Emergency Management has published it’s Hurricane Outlook for 2020. Click here to access their predictions.
At SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park, we recommend you pay attention to the weather and should the unexpected water intrusion happen, we want you to keep the following in mind:
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
Be proactive, not reactive! Identify your facility’s greatest threats in order to assess the overall severity of the event.
For a business owner or a homeowner, a worst-case disaster scenario involving water damage can seem unthinkable until it suddenly becomes a reality.
How to Protect Your Building From Mold
Faster to any Size Disaster
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park specializes in mold remediation. It’s common for us to get called to commercial buildings with mold problems. Even small water damages have the potential to cause poor indoor air quality over time.
As a property manager/homeowner, here are a few things you can do to keep mold away:
- Keep the humidity between 30-50 percent.
- Provide for proper drainage away from the building foundation.
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear of debris.
- Inspect the roof, windows and other areas where water might enter the building and perform necessary maintenance.
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately.
Got mold? Contact us, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park at (410) 647-8181 for assistance after a water damage or if you discover mold
Where is all This Water Coming From?
We get these calls all the time. Help! There’s water all over my basement. Or, there’s water coming from my ceiling. It doesn’t matter if it’s 1:00 in the afternoon or 1:00 in the morning, but water causes damage to your property when it wants to, especially in Severna Park, Maryland.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park sees water damage mostly from:
- Ice-Maker Water Line. This is the water line that connects to your refrigerator to provide cold water and ice.
- Toilet. Whether it’s a sewage backup or broken pipe, we often get calls to clean dirty water from bathrooms.
- Storm. Basement sump pumps often experience problems during rain, thunderstorms, and hurricanes.
- Roof. Most homeowners don’t know they have problems with their roof until water is coming from their ceiling.
The first step to resolving the water problem is to determine what is causing the intrusion. Call us at (410) 647-8181 24 hours a day/7 days a week. We will help you stop the flow of water immediately, and SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park can mitigate and restore your property. We will make it “Like it never even happened.”
Eliminating the Harmful Microbes and Odor from Water Damage
Annapolis Water Damage
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park knows how to get you back to normal in no time when you have flood/storm water damage in your Annapolis home or business. Don’t let a flood in your Annapolis property get you down! We will be there to help 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
There are many potential issues left behind after flood water enters and damages your home. Once the water enters, the ?damage begins almost immediately and compounds from there. Flood water is never clean and often has toxins, sludge, and sewage.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park technicians understand the importance of testing the Annapolis, Maryland flood waters. The tests will point them in the right direction so they can properly apply chemical treatments to neutralize different types of bacteria and microbes correctly.? We use moisture meters to detect moisture in materials.
Moisture Supports Microbial Growth
The removal of moisture is crucial in stopping the spread and growth of harmful bacteria and microbes. Mold spores germinate quickly, and colonies spread unless dealt with swiftly. Because the technicians hold IICRC certifications, they know the early warning signs. Technicians use a combination of extraction and dehumidification to remove moist air and replace it with warm, dry air. The use of air movers works to pull moisture up and out of walls and flooring and used in tandem with dehumidifiers.
When water damage is the problem in your home, contact SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park as soon as possible. The technicians will arrive quickly and clean up the mess along with offering their reconstruction services.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park will make the incident "Like it never even happened."
How Quickly Can Water Cause Permanent Damage to My Annapolis Home?
Water damage does not wait for resolution patiently. It has a destructive timetable that is as predictable for water restoration professionals as it is devastating for Annapolis homeowners. Some of the damage occurs just minutes to hours after the water event, and the severity of the consequences increases exponentially. Experts recommend contacting water restoration professionals immediately after the discovery of a water loss to arrange for swift removal of the damaging fluids and application of the industry’s best practices supporting structural drying.
How Fast Damage Occurs
First minutes to a few hours
- Documents, pictures, books, and other papers become soggy, with pages weakening and sticking together, bindings and glues loosening, inks spreading, and images blurring.
- Stain, varnish, and paints can transfer from wooden furniture legs and supports to carpeting, rugs, and floors.
- Textiles stretch or shrink, depending on composition, and dyes can run and stain adjacent surfaces.
- Electronics and electrical cords short out and expose occupants to the risk of shock.
Up to 24 hours
- Pressed wood and particle board furniture and supports swell and warp.
- Hardwood frames on furniture swell and distort.
- Metal fasteners tarnish.
- Drywall and ceiling tiles bulge and begin to crumble, increasing personal safety and property damage risk when significant quantities of collected water force a structural breakdown.
- Insulation compresses, packing down between walls.
- Carpets stretch and become prone to rips and delamination.
- Laminate flooring peels and disintegrates.
48-72 hours to a week
- Mold growth commences on all surfaces and contents.
- Water quality deteriorates, with pathogen growth possible.
- Door and window frames swell, preventing security issues due to improper closure.
- Metals corrode, and fasteners break down.
- Hardwood floors cup or crown, and planks or strips can buckle, pulling up from the subfloor.
7 days or more
- Structural supports can fail.
- Molds, mildews, and other hazards proliferate, affecting air quality and infecting surfaces.
When you notice water in your home, call the water restoration professionals, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park. We have over 40 years’ experience and we can make it “Like it never even happened.”
What Does Opening Your Office Look Like?
Here to Help
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park has been sanitizing facilities that are getting ready to reopen. From restaurants to retail locations, business owners are following guidelines set forth by our local government. Are you ready?
Since the beginning of the pandemic, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park has been working with our local officials to insure the proactive cleaning and sanitizing of many facilities throughout Anne Arundel County. We’ve worked in schools, government facilities, as well as general office spaces.
On Monday, May 18, Anne Arundel County Executive Stuart Pittman provided us with guidelines for reopening. Since then, we’ve received numerous requests to sanitize different commercial properties. Click here to read more about our COVID-19 cleaning process.
Take a look at how Zachary’s Jewelers plans to reopen.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park professionals are uniquely prepared during this unprecedented time to clean and disinfect your business according to the protocols set forth by the CDC. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis. We are cleaning experts.
Be Prepared for Spring/Summer Thunderstorms
Being prepared for a storm usually means you need to know when a storm is coming. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has the best storm prediction system in the country. The Storm Prediction Center is part of the National Weather Service. mission is to provide timely and accurate forecasts and watches for severe thunderstorms and tornadoes over the contiguous United States. The SPC also monitors hazardous winter weather and fire weather events across the U.S. and issues specific products for those hazards.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park recommends the following tips for thunderstorm preparedness:
- Know your area’s risk for thunderstorms. In most places, they can occur year-round and at any hour.
- Sign up for your community’s warning system. The Emergency Alert System (EAS) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio also provide emergency alerts.
- Identify nearby, sturdy buildings close to where you live, work, study, and play.
- Cut down or trim trees that may be in danger of falling on your home.
- Consider buying surge protectors, lightning rods, or a lightning protection system to protect your home, appliances, and electronic devices.
At SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park we see a lot of water damage and fires from thunderstorms. We hope these tips will keep you safe and prepared.
What are the Differences Between Janitorial Services and Commercial Cleaning for COVID-19?
Here to Help
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park is being called on by numerous business and community leaders to perform the necessary bioremediation services to clean and sanitize their properties for COVID-19.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park professionals are uniquely prepared during this unprecedented time to clean and sanitize your business according to the protocols set forth by the CDC. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
Here are 4 things that show how our cleaning is different than janitorial cleaning:
IICRC Certified. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) is the non-profit certifying body for the cleaning and restoration industry. Not only is SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park IICRC certified as a firm, but most members of our staff carry several IICRC certifications.
Cleaning Experts. The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets, and tables at a minimum. Most of our cleaning tactics will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis
The CDC also recommends regular cleaning of the following areas/items:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Bathrooms n Schools/Classrooms
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevators and Escalators
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
Cleaning Products. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line meet this standard and carry the EPA-registered emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Our proprietary cleaning agents, Benefect and Shockwave, are EPA-certified, hospital-grade disinfectants that have demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19) on hard, non-porus surfaces.
We carry multiple hospital-grade disinfectants and provide our personnel with proper PPE. Not only does this protect everyone, but it also protects the building and people in it.
Cleaning Procedures. SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park technicians are experts in infectious disease cleanup and bio-hazard cleaning. We are a member in American Bio Recovery Association (ABRA). Our proven cleaning procedures and protocols have been used to clean and sanitize rhinovirus and norovirus in the past. We are implementing similar protocols, and we are "battle tested" in regards to virus cleanup.
Bring the professionals in! Call SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park (410) 647-8181.
Certifications and Longevity
With the world going through a global pandemic, the last thing you want to do is vet cleaning companies. SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park carries various certifications and has been around for over 40 years.
The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) is the non-profit certifying body for the cleaning and restoration industry. Not only is SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park IICRC certified as a firm, but most members of our staff carry several IICRC certifications.
SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park Certifications
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying Technician
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning Technician
- CMR - IAQC Certified Mold Remediator
- CMT - Certified Mold Technician
- CMT - Commercial Carpet Maintenance Technician
- CPM - IAQC Mold Certified Project Manager
- CRMR - Council-certified Residential Microbial Remediator
- ECTP - Employee Certification Training Program
- FSRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- HST - Health and safety Technician
- IICRC Certified Firm
- OCT - Odor Control Technician
- OSHA - 10-hour General and/or Construction Industry Training Program
- OSHA - 30-hour General and/or Construction Industry Training Program
- RRRP - Lead-Based Paint Activities and Renovation
- RRT - Carpet Repair & Reinstallation Technician
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
Yesterday, we heard from a past client that we are “good people”. This client used our franchise in 1988 and is still calling on us to provide cleaning services for his business. As a business that’s been around since 1967, we rely heavily on our community reputation. We’re not just the lime green building on Ritchie Highway, we are a business that has been through many ups and downs with our customers.
Trust an industry leader at the local level. Call SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park expert cleaning needs (410) 647-8181