Did you Know That Smoke From Candles is Toxic?
The cheapest and most widely used candle is made of paraffin—which is derived from petroleum. When burned, it releases a toxin called toluene, which has been found to cause DNA strand breakdown, affecting the nervous system.
Smoke from candles is actually soot. Smoke is just soot and other particulates carried on the hot air rising off the flame. When you put the top on a jarred candle and trap the smoke, it cools. And, the particulates in the candle settle onto the candle and the inside walls of the jar.
If you notice your candle is burning lots of black smoke, cut the wick. It is recommended that cut your wicks down to no longer than 0.6 cm
Fireplaces, cigarettes and the burning of candles can all result in soot stains on walls. Though soot collects on other surfaces in the home, soot stains are easy to spot on light-colored walls. Aside from being unattractive, soot can create a health hazard.
In general, candles won’t set off your smoke alarm. However, they can cause a fire. SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park has provided fire damage remediation and reconstruction to several properties where candles were the cause of the fires.