If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (888) 886-8825

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Where did mold come from?

11/10/2017 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation Where did mold come from? Mold under the microscope can look pretty. Not in your Cape Saint Claire home.

Molds or fungi are microscopic organisms that can be found just about anywhere and anyone can be exposed to mold almost daily.  Molds are usually not a problem indoors UNLESS mold spores land on damp or wet surfaces and begin to grow.  Elevated moisture/humidity levels create a flourishing breeding ground for molds to produce the allergens and irritants that can make a person sick.  As long as moisture is not present, mold cannot grow.  You must discover the reason for elevated moisture levels (leaking pipe, hot water heater, toilet, etc.).  When water leaks indoors – respond quickly!  If you can dry the affected area within 24-48 hours, in most cases mold will not grow.

If you “SMELL” mold, remember that the mold may be hidden atop ceiling tiles, or by wallpaper or paneling or inside ductwork.  Use caution if you are investigating the “Smell/Odor” yourself as the simple act of pulling away wallpaper can release spores and NEVER turn a fan on to hasten drying as it will most likely blow those pesky spores around, causing more damage.

The area SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park services is surrounded by water!  We’ve remediated hundreds if not thousands of mold projects over our 40 plus years.  Most property managers or homeowners call us frantically when they believe they may have a mold problem but it is not alarming to us as we are educated and trained.  A mold situation is fixable if properly remediated. 

Other News

View Recent Posts